Australia PR Points System

Australia PR Point System

New Point System for Australia Immigration 

Australia PR Points System described below would be applicable for Visa Subclass 189/190/491. starting from November 16, 2019 

Australia has the most systematic points-based system for immigration and getting australia permanent residency visa. If you have an intention to settle, study and work in Australia on a permanent basis then you must calculate your total points using the Australia PR Points System in order to confirm your eligibility for the Visa Subclass 189/190/491.

You must score a minimum of 65 points across factors that include, your age, education qualification, work experience, language skills and more. The Australia PR Points System as described below clearly demonstrates the points that can be awarded to you for each of the sub-factors of eligibility criteria. 

Please note: It has introduced a few important changes in the PR in Australia which will come into effect starting from November 16, 2019. Some of the changes could be explained as an increase in the total or cumulative skilled nomination points, that is for Visa Subclass 190 and 491, increase in points for a single applicant, increase in the total points that are awarded for partners English Proficiency Level and more. 

The Australian immigration authorities have replaced the previous Subclass 489 Visa with new Subclass 491 Visa that would be effective starting from November 16, 2019.

australia pr points

Calculate your total points using Australia’s newly updated PR points table being elaborated for various factors: 

What is your Age?

Age Group
Maximum Points
at least 18 but less than 25 years
at least 25 but less than 33 years
at least 33 but less than 40 years
at least 40 but less than 45 years
More than 45 years of age

What is your English Language proficiency as calculated by your IELTS/OET score?

English Proficiency Level
Competent English (IELTS 6/OET C)
Proficient English (IELTS 7/OET B)10
Superior English (IELTS 8/OET A)20

What is your Skilled Employment Experience?

Overseas Skilled Employment – (outside Australia)

Number of Years
Less than 3 years
At least 3 but less than 5 years
At least 5 but less than 8 years
At least 8 years

Australian Skilled Employment – (within Australia)

Number of Years
Less than 1 year
At least 1 but less than 3 years
At least 3 but less than 5 years
At least 5 but less than 8 years
At least 8 years

You can claim point under this particular eligibility criteria of “employment” if the particular employee has been incorporated in your nominated skilled occupation or in a closely related skilled occupation and also if you were employed for a sufficient period of time as described in the table above, in the last 10 years period of time before you are being issued an invitation to apply;

For getting involved in Australian employment you should hold a substantive visa or either a Bridging A or Bridging B visa and should comply with the various terms and conditions of that visa in order to get eligible for points. 

The eligibility criteria that describe your being employed implies that you are engaged in an occupation for a minimum duration of 20 hours per week.

Closely related occupations should be:

  • within the same ANZSCO Unit Group or
  • consistent with the career advancement pathway or
  • recognized by an assessment authority which is related closely to your nominated occupation and is a part of your skills assessment procedure.

The maximum number of points that can be gained is equivalent to 20, this implies that even if you are able to score more than 20 points for your entire employment experience then also only 20 points will be awarded to you.

What is your Educational Qualification?

A Doctorate degree received from an Australian educational institute or a Doctorate degree received from some other educational institution, that is considered under the recognized standard
At least have a Bachelor degree from an educational institution in Australia or at least a Bachelor degree from some other educational institution, that is considered under the recognized standard
A diploma or some other trade qualification from an educational institution based in Australia
Attained an award or some other qualification that is being recognized by a relevant assessment authority that has checked our nominated skilled occupation10

Please note that in the Australia PR Points System you will be awarded points only on the basis of your highest qualification to date. 

Recognition of your educational credentials 

The authority for conducting your skills assessment is responsible for determining if your educational credentials are comparable with respect to the required Australian qualification. It is mandatory for you to obtain the required recognition at the time when you will receive an invitation to apply for an Australian visa.

If you hold an educational qualification from overseas, at the bachelor level or above and in case your skills assessing authority has not offered you an opinion on that particular qualification then you can always contact Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services (VETASSESS) for any advice on same. 

VETASSESS provides an assessment of the educational credentials that are comparable with your overseas qualification with the Australian Qualifications Framework or AQF. The advice received from VETASSESS needs to be attached to your application in order to support the claims for the awarded points.

Doctoral Requirements (Ph.D.)

You can get points for a doctoral degree in case you have the required qualification, that is, a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). However, please note that you cannot claim all these points and get awarded with same for some other qualifications that provide you the right to use the title or initials of Doctor which includes professions such as general practitioner, dentist and more.

What is your Specialist Education Qualification?

A Masters degree that involves some research or a Doctorate degree received from an Australian Educational Institution that includes a minimum of 2 years of academic study in a relevant field 10

The postgraduate degree that involves research (masters or doctorate) should be received from an Australian Education Institution after completion of a minimum of 2 academic years in the papers that are described as follows and are from science, technology, mathematics, engineering, communication technology and specified information (ICT) fields:

  • Natural and Physical Sciences
  • biological sciences
  • chemical sciences
  • earth sciences
  • mathematical sciences
  • natural and physical sciences
  • other natural and physical sciences
  • physics and astronomy 
  • Information Technology 
  • computer science
  • information systems
  • information technology 
  • other information technology 
  • Engineering and related technologies 
  • aerospace engineering and technology 
  • civil engineering 
  • electrical and electronics engineering and technology 
  • geomatics engineering 
  • manufacturing engineering and technology 
  • maritime engineering and technology
  • mechanical and industrial engineering and technology 
  • other engineering and related technologies
  • process and resources engineering 

What are your partner skills?

Your spouse or your defacto partner should also be your accompanying applicant for the Australian visa and should meet the required age, English and other skill criteria 
For you to become eligible to be awarded with these points it is necessary that your partner should be an applicant of the same visa subclass and should not be a permanent resident or citizen of Australia. 
In addition to this, you would be required to prove valid evidence that while receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) your partner:
were under 45 years of age
had competent level of English 
had nominated a skilled occupation that is listed on the skilled occupation list which is similar to that of yours
had completed skills assessment through a relevant assessing authority for your partner’s nominated skilled occupation. Also, the assessment completed should not be from the Subclass 485 visa.
Your partner or de facto partner should also be included as an applicant in your visa and must have a competent level of English
For you to be eligible to get these points your partner should be an applicant under the same visa subclass and should not be a permanent resident or citizen of Australia.
You are a single applicant or your partner is a citizen or permanent resident of Australia10

How is the Australian Study requirement relevant?

Meet the relevant study Australian study requirement 5

You should possess minimum one degree or diploma or a trade qualification from an educational institution based in Australia and should also meet the Australian study requirement.

How are your Professional Years completed in Australia beneficial?

Completion of one Professional Year while living in Australia5

At the time of receiving an invitation to apply (ITA), you should have completed one Professional Year. To be eligible to get awarded with the required points under this criterion, your Professional Year should be in the field of Accounting, Computing/ICT or Engineering, and: 

  • in your own nominated occupation or any other related occupation 
  • completed over a minimum period of 12 months
  • completed in Australia over a period of four years before you are being issued an invitation to apply (ITA)
  • provided by one of the following organizations:
  • the Australian Computer Society
  • Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand 
  • the Institute of Public Accountants (formerly known as the National Institute of Accountants)
  • CPA Australia
  • Engineers Australia

How are your skills in Credential Community Language?

Hold a recognized qualification in one of the credentialed community language5

To be certified in a community language and to be eligible and ger points you should hold a level at the paraprofessional level or even above that or possess a community language credential for translating done by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.

Have you completed your studies from Regional Australia?

You should possess a minimum of one degree or diploma or a trade qualification from an educational institution located in Australia that also satisfies the relevant Australian Study Requirement that has been obtained while residing and studying in a recognized area of regional part of Australia.5

Need assistance in evaluating your eligibility using the Australia PR points System?

Contact Immigration Experts for FREE Points-Based Assessment of your profile for Visa Subclass 189, 190 and 491.  

Drop us an email at:

Give us a call at: +91-8448450100

Achieve your Immigration dreams with Immigration Experts. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *